These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit to written requests to the Three Rivers Enrollment Services Office that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. Enrollment Services will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by Enrollment Servies, they shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
- The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights guaranteed by FERPA. Students who wish to ask the college to amend a record should write the Three Rivers official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. If the student desires a hearing to protest the college's decision not to amend his/her record, the student must complete a form and submit it to Enrollment Services.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
FERPA further provides the college the ability to designate certain student information as "directory information." Directory information may be made available to any person without the student's consent unless the student gives notice as provided for below. Three Rivers has designated the following as directory information:
- Student's name
- Local and permanent addresses
- Telephone numbers
- Email addresses
- Date and place of birth
- Major field(s) of study
- Dates of attendance
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Most recent educational institution attended
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
The request to withhold directory information will remain in effect as long as the student continues to be enrolled or until the student files a written request with the Three Rivers Enrollment Services Office to discontinue the withholding. To continue nondisclosure of directory information after a student ceases to be enrolled, a written request for continuance must be filed with the Three Rivers Enrollment Services Office during the student's last term of attendance.
If a student believes the college has failed to comply with the requirements of FERPA, he or she may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901
Complaints must be timely submitted, no later than 180 days from the date the student learns of the circumstances of the alleged violation; and must contain specific allegations of fact giving reasonable cause to believe that a violation has occurred, including: relevant dates, names and titles of those college officials and other third parties involved; a specific description of the education record about which the alleged violation occurred; a description of any contact with college officials regarding the matter, including dates of telephone calls, meetings and/or any correspondence between the student and Three Rivers; the name and address of the college; and any additional evidence that would be helpful in reviewing the complaint.
Questions about the application of the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act should be directed to the Enrollment Services Office at 573-840-9605.