1098-T Form Electronic Delivery
Students now have the option to receive an electronic 1098-T through myTRCC. Students must go to myTRCC and choose if they would like to receive their 1098-T electronically with the 1098-T Electronic Consent option.
Steps to give consent to receive an electronic 1098-T:
- Log into myTRCC
- Click on myTRCC for Students tab
- Click on 1098-T Electronic Consent under the Financial Information heading
- Click on your preferred option, and then submit.
There are multiple benefits to receiving an electronic 1098-T:
- Access from anywhere at any time on a secure website.
- Eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will be lost, stolen or delayed during delivery or even after being received by the student.
- A student may print multiple copies at their convenience.
- In the future you will be able to view/print previous 1098-T's back to 2010.
All Three Rivers students are encouraged to take advantage of this quick and easy option.
What is a 1098-T form?
The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, and taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment and academic status. Beginning with 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student.
This form is informational only. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. It should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.