NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Three Rivers College facilities are closed at this time, but our staff is still available to help you. The Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC) offers distance tutoring through Blackboard. Every student has access to the TLC Distance Tutoring page, where you can post questions on the discussion board or submit a paper for review by a tutor. If you need more assistance, contact the TLC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 573-840-9638, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday, and we will put you in direct contact with an appropriate tutor.
The Tutoring and Learning Center Tutor Training Program has been accredited by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA), and our Professional Tutors are internationally certified. This certification benefits Three Rivers College students by providing additional training for our tutors and establishing standards of skill and proficiency. Thanks to CRLA, the Tutoring and Learning Center has built an academic support system through which we actively contribute to the student learning environment of Three Rivers College.
Drop in any time during lab hours - no appointment necessary!
Spring/Fall Semester Hours
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: Closed
Have you found yourself stumped on a math problem? Would you like someone to walk through your study guide as you prepare for your upcoming algebra exam? Maybe you just need a little extra problem-solving practice. Whatever your math or science concern is, the professional and student tutors in the Tutoring & Learning Center are ready to help. The center is equipped with TI-84 and standard calculators, textbooks and other math reference books, and handouts. Computers are available for online math homework. Students are helped on a first-come, first-served basis.
At a math or science tutoring session, tutors can:
- Provide a review of general concepts, formulas, or problem-solving steps
- Help students solve specific math or science problems and walk students through the applicable problem-solving steps
- Assist students who are stuck or have questions as they complete homework assignments or study for tests
- class notes
Would you like another set of eyes to look over your essay before you hand it in for a final grade? Do you have questions about citations for your research paper? Are you having difficulty grasping some grammatical concept? If so, the Tutoring & Learning Center can help. Typically, a session will last approximately 30 minutes. Distance tutoring is also available (see below).
A tutoring session in writing may include assistance with:
- Understanding an assignment and the instructor's directions
- Brainstorming for topics
- Creating an outline
- Focus (main idea, main point, purpose)
- Organization (arrangement, paragraphing)
- Development (supporting details, examples, logic)
- Coherence (flow, use of transitions)
- Style (sentence structure, tone, word choice)
- Title, thesis statement, introduction, conclusion
What a student should bring to a tutoring session in writing:
- Two (2) copies of the work
- The instructor's assignment sheet
- The course textbook
- A list of questions you have about the writing of the paper
- The knowledge of what your instructor has noted as weak areas in previous papers (maybe even bring previous papers to the tutoring session, too)
The Tutoring and Learning Center provides distance tutoring for both online courses and face-to-face courses at Three Rivers' external locations. Distance tutoring is conducted by the same tutors who work in the TLC.
There are three Distance Tutoring options to choose from. Choose the one best suited to your needs:
- Contact TLC Distance Tutoring by phone at (573) 840-9638, ext. 2, during our regular hours for immediate assistance. We will ask for your Three Rivers Student ID, and based on your question(s), we will direct you to the appropriate tutor. In some cases, we may have to schedule an appointment to meet with someone, or direct you to the Tutoring and Learning Center Blackboard page.
- For less urgent questions, log in to Blackboard, access the Tutoring and Learning Center Blackboard page, and follow the step-by-step instructions to post a question on the Discussion Board. Our professional tutors will respond within 24-48 hours.
- To submit a paper and receive feedback, log in to Blackboard, access the Tutoring and Learning Center Blackboard page, and follow the step-by-step instructions to submit your paper. Be sure to include your full name, Three Rivers Student ID, the name and number of the course for which the paper is assigned, your instructor’s name, a description of the assignment, and any specific questions or concerns you would like us to address. Attach your paper, and our professional tutors will respond within 24-48 hours.
Our professional accounting tutor(s) can assist you in all levels of accounting. They will answer specific questions, assist with homework, or provide check figures to test accuracy of solutions. Drop in to get one-on-one or study group assistance in:
- Principles of Accounting I
- Principles of Accounting II
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Business Math